Image: Coffins depicting the number of people killed each year attempting to cross the US-Mexico border / Tomas Castelazo / Wikimedia Commons
1. How long will it be before Americans realise their country is marching ever-closer to full-blown fascism? The Orange One orders construction of a wall on the border with Mexico to begin. He also decreed that communities that offer support to undocumented migrants would not receive any government assistance until they stop helping migrants, and announced plans for hiring 10,000 people for a "deportation force". If that's not bad enough, he reportedly will ban all immigration and the granting of visas to people from seven Muslim-majority nations, ban all refugees from coming to the US, permanently ban Syrian refugees, eliminate both the National Endowment For The Arts and the National Endowment For The Humanities while cutting National Public Radio and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, re-open secret CIA "black sites" where suspected militants were tortured and held in violation of human rights laws, and send troops into American cities to "stop the carnage" of crime even though crime rates in the US are actually at record lows.
2. Who killed Birna Brjansdottir? An exceedingly rare murder mystery has gripped Iceland after the 20-year-old’s body was found on a beach south of Reykjavik, 10 days after she went missing.
3. How did one of Trump's most controversial supporters gain NZ citizenship? MPs want to know how venture capitalist Peter Thiel - a billionaire and devout Trump supporter who helped fund the lawsuit that bankrupted Gawker and has said granting women the right to vote was a mistake - apparently gained NZ citizenship in 2011.
4. How awesome is the Netherlands? The country wants to set up an international fund to help women access all types of birth control - including abortions - after the US said it would stop funding such services.
5. Is Aotearoa the least corrupt nation in the world? That's what Transparency International's Corruption Perceptions Index says.