5 Questions: Terror attack at Ariana Grande show, Middle class white man struggles in diverse...
- May 24, 2017
1. Can we please all agree not to attack kids? Twenty-two confirmed dead after reported suicide...Read More
It's hard to believe that it's been two years since Villainesse was launched. Today we are thrilled to be celebrating our second birthday with the...Read More
These days, most of my emails begin with: “I’m so sorry for the late reply! I’ve been snowed.” At the surface level, the expression sounds quaint...Read More
For those of us old enough to remember 1999, the name TrueBliss brings about a wave of nostalgia. I must’ve been 10 when I lined up at the door of...Read More
Whenever I see the words ‘Māori’, ‘foreshore’, and ‘claim’ in a headline, my stomach automatically clenches. Reading the news yesterday about a...Read More
1. Will National lose itself in the music of its 2014 ad campaign? Eminem’s case against the National...Read More
Lest we forget. Those are the words that will be uttered today, summoned from the backroom of...Read More
1. Should Australia be on alert for a possible nuclear attack? North...Read More
Two years ago, theatre-makers Eleanor Bishop and Julia Croft found themselves deep in a Tony Veitch Google hole that they just couldn’t claw their...Read More
1. What will the legendary Helen Clark do next? Aunty Helen finishes up her stint at...Read More
When I was 17, I was quite the hopeless romantic. Which is perhaps unsurprising, given that I, like most of my classmates, was raised on fairy...Read More
With The Bachelor upon us once again, I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that the catfight is about to come back into the media vogue. Big...Read More
I was 11 when I was first called a slut. I’d been warned about “the s word” the year prior by a friend who was a year older than me. “It’s worse...Read More
When it comes to the law, we don’t often focus on the unpopular side of the story. In a democracy such as our own, however, a key part of our...Read More
A report released today by the Ministry for Women has found that the difference between the earnings of men and women can’t be explained by...Read More
Revolution. The word was confronting once, before the term ‘social justice warrior’ became pejorative, when activism...Read More
1. Can Family First please stay OUT of girls’ toilets? Extreme conservative lobby group produces videos
2. When will we be able to speak...Read More
1. What happened in Sweden? Even Sweden’s leaders don’t know what Donald Trump is talking about.
2. Will the jury be able to agree upon...Read More
1. Will the victims of childhood abuse at the hands of the state finally receive answers? The Human Rights Commission calls for an inquiry....Read More
1. Will Trump’s travel ban targeting Muslims be found to be unconstitutional? White...Read More
1. Have you seen Carissa Avison? Police continue for missing...Read More
1. Is “alternative facts” what we call lying now? Kellyanne Conway spins us around so...Read More
January always seems to pass in a haze. By the time I can figure out...Read More
1. Who run the world? GIRLS.
2. Are we peddling false advertising with...Read More
First published on Monday the 11th of April, 2016, this piece was the most read Villainesse story of 2016.
Over the weekend Henderson...Read More
First published on Saturday the 7th of May, 2016, this piece comes in at number 2 in the top 30 most read Villainesse stories of 2016.
First published on Monday the 18th of April, 2016, this piece comes in at number 3 in...Read More
First published on Saturday the 1st of October, 2016...Read More
First published on Sunday the 26th of June, 2016, this piece comes in at number 10 in the top 30 most read Villainesse stories of 2016.
First published on Saturday the 4th of June, 2016, this piece comes in at number 11 in the top 30 most read Villainesse stories of 2016.
First published on Thursday the 12th of May, 2016, this piece comes in at number 12 in the top 30 most read Villainesse stories of 2016.
First published on Monday the 12th of December, 2016, this piece comes in at number 13 in the top 30 most read Villainesse stories of 2016....Read More
First published on Monday the 8th of February, 2016, this piece comes in at...Read More
First published on Friday the 22nd of January, 2016, this piece comes in at number 15 in the top 30 most read Villainesse stories of 2016....Read More
First published on Saturday the 2nd of April, 2016, this piece comes in at number 19 in the top 30 most read Villainesse stories of 2016....Read More
First published on Saturday the 6th of August, 2016, this piece comes in at number 30 in the top 30 most read Villainesse stories of 2016....Read More
Most days, being a feminist makes me feel immensely proud. Some days, it drives me to despair for the state of humanity. Other days, it makes me...Read More
1. One of NZ’s top 50 companies now has a female CEO; should we be celebrating? Chorus names new Australian female CEO, the only woman to lead one...Read More
At this stage of the game, it’s really a miracle that I can still string a sentence together. I’m limping to the finish line sustained only by...Read More
1. How brutal will the fight to be PM be? Bill English, Judith Collins and...Read More
1. Who will be the next Prime Minister of New Zealand? John Key’s...Read More
1. Why the fuck isn’t Bertolucci in jail? Interview surfaces in which director of Last Tango in Paris...Read More
1. Fidel Castro: Hero or tyrant? Iconic Cuban leader dies.
2. When...Read More
1. Is Gerry Brownlee shooting the messenger over the need for increased Geonet funding? Minister angry that Geonet personnel...Read More
1. How long will the protests continue? Anti-Trump marchers still protesting days...Read More
*Warning: Contains strong language.
I am many things: a musician, a columnist for the New Zealand Herald , the editor here at Villainesse...Read More
1. Was it a gun or a rolled-up poster that Donald fled the stage to escape?...Read More
When I read the headline ‘Some states are trying to force women to have funerals for foetuses’ I had to fight an overpowering urge to break...Read More
1. Was James Comey’s unusual statement about Clinton email probe politically motivated? Senior democrats demand answers as Justice Department...Read More
1. How bad will the reopened FBI case be for Clinton’s election chances? Emails found in...Read More
1. Is Housing NZ misusing a meth test to evict innocent tenants? Dame Tariana...Read More
1. Is it any coincidence that the hacking of major US sites is happening during an...Read More
1. What happened to Beth Christina Winfield? Waikato woman’s family left in limbo as...Read More
In 2016, as in pretty much every year since the beginning of time, a pair of ovaries may as well be a ‘discounted’ sticker in the New Zealand job...Read More
1. At this stage, could it get any worse for Donald Trump? Trump-sized tidal wave of past...Read More
1. How damaging will the New York Times’ tax return scoop be to Donald Trump...Read More
1. Is Australia’s Channel Nine paying its female presenters a shit-tonne less than male...Read More
1. Is the New Zealand justice system biased against Māori? Statistics indicate disparity...Read More
1. How awesome is Sophie Pascoe? NZ paralympian takes 11 th medal – a gold in the women’s 100m backstroke.
2. Would the NZ Police consider...Read More